I’ve had to learn a whole new sugar-free lifestyle to support my own healing. It’s been a long journey and only little by little I’m finding new ways to enjoy food and delicacies without refined sugars. After doing this for so long, I don’t really have sweet cravings anymore but I still want to enjoy something “good” with my nice cup of green tea every now and then. Life is meant for joyful things, isn’t it?
The reason why I had to say goodbye to sugary treats in the first place, was understanding that too much insulin in my body causes all kinds of problems and most of all inflammation. Ups and downs in insulin levels (unbalanced blood sugar) are caused by sugars and carbohydrates which the body convert to glucose. Chronic high blood sugar causes chronic inflammation in the body when the cell functions become disturbed and more free radicals can activate (oxidation) due to this process. Free radicals again increase the chronic inflammation and it’s a vicious cycle. High insulin can also keep the body fat as ‘a hostage’ and not let the body lose weight even through exercise. (1,2)
Lingonberries are the new superfood and increasingly popular in fat busting diets. Lingonberry is a super nutritious fruit packed with antioxidants that stave off inflammation and diseases. Including berries as part of your diet, like into a morning smoothie or in a raw cheesecake, give you the opportunity to enjoy incredible health benefits. Regular consumption of lingonberries, can balance blood sugar levels, prevent weight gain, keep your oral/mouth healthy, help you treat urinary tract infections and even prevent the growth of cancer cells.
One of the reasons why lingonberry is such a superfood is that lingonberries are rich in powerful antioxidants, just like its cousin’s blueberry and cranberry (1) (2). They are also rich in flavonoids, type of polyphenol antioxidants, that gives lingonberries the bright, vibrant colours. One of these is Resveratrol, a stilbenoid, which may prevent heart and vascular diseases and diabetes. Numerous studies have found that Lingonberries contain higher amounts of flavonoids than any other berry (3 ). It is important to take as many antioxidants as possible; they help in protecting the body against cell damage, which occurs as result of exposure to unstable free radicals.
Lingonberries can be very sour in taste but somehow the avocado in this cheesecake makes a soft contrast for the sourness. On the other hand, the roasted seeds along with sweet dates in the base, give such a rich flavour to go hand in hand with the fresh filling. You gotta try this!
Some health benefits of the cake:
- Contain more flavonoids ( a type of polyphenol) that any other berry! – rich in antioxidants. (1,2,3)
- Also, help to restore depleted antioxidants like glutathione which has been referred to as the ‘master antioxidant’ because of its role in fighting off a wide variety of illness.
- Antioxidants prevent from cellular damage and signs of ageing for example.
- Reduce inflammation. Inflammation is the underlying cause of many diseases. (3)
- Contains proanthocyanidins that protect against recurring urinary tract infection. (4)
- Might balance blood sugar and insulin levels and control weight gain and obesity. (5)
- Tannin could effect a powerful antimicrobial action against two of the bacteria responsible for gum and mouth disease.
- Procyanidins might protect our bodies against certain cancer types including leukaemia, colonic and cervical cancer.
- Avocado is incredibly nutritious!
- High in fibre, which helps for natural detoxification, improves digestion and protects from chronic disease.
- Folate helps lower the risk of depression and it’s important for healthy pregnancy.
- Vitamin K can support bone health by increasing calcium absorption.
- Avocado has two phytochemicals that are especially concentrated in the tissues in the eyes.
- Natural plant sterol called beta-sitosterol is important for the heart health.
Virgin Coconut oil
- Helps boost my immune system (antibacterial, anti-fungal, and anti-viral)
- Reduces inflammation
- Improves memory and brain function
- Helps me get into ketosis
- Improves energy and endurance
- Improves digestion
- Protects the skin
- Helps candida and yeast infection
- Balance hormones