Allergic asthma continues to increase despite new pharmacological advances for both acute treatment and chronic disease management. Such a simple food as pineapple might be one among others to fight agains this common lung disease that inflames and narrows the airways. Pineapple might also help reduce cough and nasal mucus associated with sinusitis.
Asthma is a multifactorial disease process with genetic, allergic, infectious, environmental, and dietary origins. Researchers are investigating the benefits of lifestyle changes and alternative asthma treatments, including the ability of bromelain to inhibit inflammation. Bromelain is a commonly used, proteolytically active pineapple extract. (1)
Some health benefits of this smoothie:
- Pineapple is a source of important vitamins and minerals such as vitamin C (strong antioxidant), vitamin A, calcium, iron, thiamin, riboflavin, vitamin B-6, folate, pantothenic acid, magnesium, manganese and potassium and antioxidants and polyphenols, such as beta-carotene.
- Rich in fiber and water content – good for digestion.
- Bromelain, the enzyme found in pineapples, may help reduce cough and nasal mucus associated with sinusitis. It may also relieve the swelling and inflammation caused by hay fever or allergic asthma.
- Find out more about pineapple health benefits here.
- Limes can help fight infections and improve immune system due to high vitamin C which is an effective antioxidant.
- Rich in soluble fiber, limes are good for digestion and also to balance blood sugar levels. Moreover, soluble fiber can decrease the rate of inflammation of the blood vessels
- Lime juice and other citrus products have been found to kill Vibrio cholera bacteria and act as a biocide.
- One of the top alkaline foods! Rich in chlorophyll which acts as an alkalizer.
- Rich in phytonutrient content. Researchers have identified more than a dozen different flavonoid compounds in spinach that function as anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer agents.
- Most of the flavonoid and carotenoid nutrients found in spinach that provide anti-inflammatory benefits provide antioxidant benefits as well.
- Rich in manganese, magnesium, iron, potassium, calcium and folate.
- Dark leafy green – vitamins A, K, C, B1,2,3,6, E.
- Find out more about spinach health benefits here.
- Contains bioactive compounds with powerful medicinal properties.
- Natural anti-inflammatory compound.
- Dramatically increases the antioxidant capacity of the body.
- Boosts brain-derived neurotrophic factor, linked to improved brain function and a lower risk of brain diseases.
- Curcumin compound leads to various improvements that should lower your risk of heart disease.
- Can help prevent (and perhaps even treat) cancer.
- May be useful in preventing and treating Alzheimer’s disease.
- Arthritis patients respond very well to curcumin supplementation.
- Studies show that curcumin has incredible benefits against depression.
- May help delay aging and fight age-related chronic diseases.
- Coconuts are highly nutritious and rich in fibre, vitamins C, E, B1, B3, B5 and B6 and minerals including iron, selenium, sodium, calcium, magnesium and phosphorous. Unlike cow’s milk, coconut milk is lactose free so can be used as a milk substitute by those with lactose intolerance.
- Provides important minerals.
- Contains MCTs which are easily used by the brain for energy, can help lower inflammation and loosing weight.
- The good fat’s in coconut milk balances insulin levels.